The Glasgow Botanic Gardens are located in Glasgow’s West End by the River Kelvin. The gardens were created back in 1817 and consist of several glass houses, the most notable being the Kibble Palace. Originally used for concerts and events and wasn’t until 1891 when the City Of Glasgow incorporated the parks and gardens.
The glasshouses provides floral displays throughout the year with an enormous variety of flowers from within the orchid family, Arid land plants and tropical rainforest plants.
The Gardens currently cover an area of 19.6 hectares (42.2 acres) including a popular section of the Kelvin Walkway linking the City to the West Highland Way.
The gardens have many wooded walkways along the River Kelvin which provide an ideal habitat for all kinds of wildlife which are part of the important conservation work that the garden’s consistently undergo.
A recent addition to the Gardens is the tearoom. It can be found in the former Curators house near to the Kibble Palace. In addition to the indoor catering there is a newly created outdoor refreshment area to the front of the house to take advantage of the summer weather.